TNCA Club ready to lift dhoti ban, says Srinivasan
Chennai: As Tamil Nadu government came down on the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association Club here for denying entry to a dhoti-clad judge, club President N Srinivasan on Wednesday said it was ready to lift the dhoti ban.
"We are ready to lift the ban. Will go with whatever the Chief Minister advises. When something like this happens we will respect," he told PTI here after a felicitation function on his election as first Chairman of ICC.
He was responding to a question about Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s statement in the state assembly today.
In a suo motu statement in the assembly, Jayalalithaa came down heavily on the July 11 incident in which sitting Madras High Court judge D Hariparanthaman was barred from entering TNCA Club for wearing a dhoti.
Calling the denial of entry "an act of insult to Tamil civilisation and culture", she warned such organisations of stringent action, including cancellation of their licences.
She also said the government would enact a new law to curb such practices.
The incident has triggered a controversy with almost all political parties condemning it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users