TNCA Club ready to lift dhoti ban, says Srinivasan
Chennai: As Tamil Nadu government came down on the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association Club here for denying entry to a dhoti-clad judge, club President N Srinivasan on Wednesday said it was ready to lift the dhoti ban.
"We are ready to lift the ban. Will go with whatever the Chief Minister advises. When something like this happens we will respect," he told PTI here after a felicitation function on his election as first Chairman of ICC.
He was responding to a question about Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s statement in the state assembly today.
In a suo motu statement in the assembly, Jayalalithaa came down heavily on the July 11 incident in which sitting Madras High Court judge D Hariparanthaman was barred from entering TNCA Club for wearing a dhoti.
Calling the denial of entry "an act of insult to Tamil civilisation and culture", she warned such organisations of stringent action, including cancellation of their licences.
She also said the government would enact a new law to curb such practices.
The incident has triggered a controversy with almost all political parties condemning it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi