TNCA Club ready to lift dhoti ban, says Srinivasan
Chennai: As Tamil Nadu government came down on the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association Club here for denying entry to a dhoti-clad judge, club President N Srinivasan on Wednesday said it was ready to lift the dhoti ban.
"We are ready to lift the ban. Will go with whatever the Chief Minister advises. When something like this happens we will respect," he told PTI here after a felicitation function on his election as first Chairman of ICC.
He was responding to a question about Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s statement in the state assembly today.
In a suo motu statement in the assembly, Jayalalithaa came down heavily on the July 11 incident in which sitting Madras High Court judge D Hariparanthaman was barred from entering TNCA Club for wearing a dhoti.
Calling the denial of entry "an act of insult to Tamil civilisation and culture", she warned such organisations of stringent action, including cancellation of their licences.
She also said the government would enact a new law to curb such practices.
The incident has triggered a controversy with almost all political parties condemning it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing