TNCC regrets DMDK decision to boycott Prez polls
Chennai: Congress state unit on Wednesday regretted main opposition party DMDK`s decision to boycott the Presidential polls and asserted that both the party and Centre had acted and sought its support for Congress nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
Responding to DMDK founder and Opposition leader in the Assembly Vijayakant`s statement that the Centre and its alliance partners had "deceived" the state`s voters, TNCC President B S Gnanadesikan said both his party and the Central government had voiced their concerns, whether on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue or other inter-state matters.
"As for the Lankan Tamils issue, Colombo did not pay heed not only to India`s demand for a ceasefire against terrorism but by other countries also. Congress` state unit vehemently demanded for India`s vote against Sri Lanka in the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) and Centre supported the vote," he said in a statement.
The state unit had taken "very tough stand" vis-a-vis Mullaperiyar row involving Kerala, he said.
"Therefore the attitude of being ignorant about who becomes the President is not good. Vijayakant should back the candidature of Finance Minister Mukherjee, who is a great Parliamentarian and well-respected human being who seems to have earned the backing of opposition parties also," he said.
Vijayakant, whose party has 29 MLAs in the 234-member Assembly, had announced boycotting the presidential polls, saying Centre had failed Tamil Nadu on key issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister