TNEB engineer arrested for demanding bribe
Namakkal: An Assistant Executive Engineer of Tamil Nadu Electricity Board has been arrested for allegedly demanding Rs 1.5 lakh bribe from a shopping complex owner for a favour.
Police said a trap was laid after the owner filed a complaint. He was given chemically treated notes to be handed to the AE. The man was nabbed last night near a tea shop when the money was being handed over, they said.
He was booked under Section 7 15&13(b)of Prevention of corruption Act, 1988. He was later produced before a special court in Salem,which remanded him to 15 days judicial custody.
Police said the owner had started construction of the complex on 3075 square foot land he purchased opposite the AE`s office. He had applied for a temporary licence and also higher electricity load.
On Jan 10 the AEE visited the spot and reportedly detected `excess power` being consumed. He told the owner these charges would amount to Rs 3 lakh and the penalty for a similar amount, but that he could be spared if he paid Rs 1.5 lakh to him in two instalments.
Following this the man approached police, who filed an FIR and laid a trap to nab him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users