TNEB engineer arrested for demanding bribe
Namakkal: An Assistant Executive Engineer of Tamil Nadu Electricity Board has been arrested for allegedly demanding Rs 1.5 lakh bribe from a shopping complex owner for a favour.
Police said a trap was laid after the owner filed a complaint. He was given chemically treated notes to be handed to the AE. The man was nabbed last night near a tea shop when the money was being handed over, they said.
He was booked under Section 7 15&13(b)of Prevention of corruption Act, 1988. He was later produced before a special court in Salem,which remanded him to 15 days judicial custody.
Police said the owner had started construction of the complex on 3075 square foot land he purchased opposite the AE`s office. He had applied for a temporary licence and also higher electricity load.
On Jan 10 the AEE visited the spot and reportedly detected `excess power` being consumed. He told the owner these charges would amount to Rs 3 lakh and the penalty for a similar amount, but that he could be spared if he paid Rs 1.5 lakh to him in two instalments.
Following this the man approached police, who filed an FIR and laid a trap to nab him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it