To consult lawyers on wife`s appearance in CBI court: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi said Saturday he would consult lawyers and chart out a course of action over the personal appearance of his wife Dayalu Ammal before a CBI court.
The special CBI court hearing the 2G spectrum allocation case in New Delhi had Friday dismissed the application of Dayalu Ammal seeking exemption from personal appearance, and directed her to appear before it July 8.
Speaking to reporters here, Karunanidhi said: "As the court`s order is not final, what should be done will have to be decided after discussions with lawyers."
The case relates to the receipt of Rs.200 crore by Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd, in which Ammal owns 60 percent stake. The remaining stakes were shared equally by Karunanidhi`s daughter (by another wife) Kanimozhi and channel CEO Sharad Kumar.
The Rs.200 crore received by Kalaignar TV is alleged to be a bribe from Dynamix Realty through Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd and Cineyug Films Pvt Ltd, connected to Shahid Usman Balwa of Swan Telecom.
Former telecom minister A Raja is also an accused in the case.
Though Karunanidhi`s wife holds 60 percent stake in Kalaignar TV, the CBI has not termed her as an accused as she was just fulfilling a legal responsibility after delegating day-to-day operations to CEO Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued