Toll climbs to 3 in Tamil Nadu fireworks unit explosion
Sivakasi: The death toll in the accident at a fireworks manufacturing unit near here has risen to three with a 19-year-old boy on Thursday succumbing to his injuries at the local government hospital, police said.
The accident occurred last evening when some final touches were being carried out on semi-finished crackers which exploded at the unit in Vetturayapuram.
Two sheds were destroyed under the impact of the explosion, they said.
The accident was said to be triggered by sparks caused by friction while chemicals were being mixed, police said.
Sivakasi is a hub of the fireworks manufacturing industry and mishaps, mostly in small scale units, recur despite government initiatives to enforce safety norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city