Toll of those drowned in Cauvery rises to 9
Erode: The number of persons that drowned
after they were swept away by waters released from a barrage into Cauvery river in the district rose to nine after two boys were found to have drowned on the same day seven persons belonging to two Anglo-Indian families were swept away, police said.
Sureshkumar and Mohammed Asif, both 15, drowned in the
river near Vendipalayam Bhavani Kattalai Barrage II on Jan 8,
The body of one of the boys, Sureshkumar, had been
recovered and identified by his father, they said. Search is
on to find the body of Asif. The families of Sureshkumar and
Asif had lodged a police complaint on Sunday after the boys went missing, police said.
It was on the same day that seven persons, including a
11-year-old girl, belonging to two Anglo-Indian families
drowned when water released suddenly into the river from
Vendipalayam Electricity Barrage swept them away.
Police said out of seven persons washed away, the bodies of
six had been recovered and search is on for the body of a
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'