Toll of those drowned in Cauvery rises to 9
Erode: The number of persons that drowned
after they were swept away by waters released from a barrage into Cauvery river in the district rose to nine after two boys were found to have drowned on the same day seven persons belonging to two Anglo-Indian families were swept away, police said.
Sureshkumar and Mohammed Asif, both 15, drowned in the
river near Vendipalayam Bhavani Kattalai Barrage II on Jan 8,
The body of one of the boys, Sureshkumar, had been
recovered and identified by his father, they said. Search is
on to find the body of Asif. The families of Sureshkumar and
Asif had lodged a police complaint on Sunday after the boys went missing, police said.
It was on the same day that seven persons, including a
11-year-old girl, belonging to two Anglo-Indian families
drowned when water released suddenly into the river from
Vendipalayam Electricity Barrage swept them away.
Police said out of seven persons washed away, the bodies of
six had been recovered and search is on for the body of a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’