Toll of those drowned in Cauvery rises to 9
Erode: The number of persons that drowned
after they were swept away by waters released from a barrage into Cauvery river in the district rose to nine after two boys were found to have drowned on the same day seven persons belonging to two Anglo-Indian families were swept away, police said.
Sureshkumar and Mohammed Asif, both 15, drowned in the
river near Vendipalayam Bhavani Kattalai Barrage II on Jan 8,
The body of one of the boys, Sureshkumar, had been
recovered and identified by his father, they said. Search is
on to find the body of Asif. The families of Sureshkumar and
Asif had lodged a police complaint on Sunday after the boys went missing, police said.
It was on the same day that seven persons, including a
11-year-old girl, belonging to two Anglo-Indian families
drowned when water released suddenly into the river from
Vendipalayam Electricity Barrage swept them away.
Police said out of seven persons washed away, the bodies of
six had been recovered and search is on for the body of a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials