Toll of those drowned in Cauvery rises to 9
Erode: The number of persons that drowned
after they were swept away by waters released from a barrage into Cauvery river in the district rose to nine after two boys were found to have drowned on the same day seven persons belonging to two Anglo-Indian families were swept away, police said.
Sureshkumar and Mohammed Asif, both 15, drowned in the
river near Vendipalayam Bhavani Kattalai Barrage II on Jan 8,
The body of one of the boys, Sureshkumar, had been
recovered and identified by his father, they said. Search is
on to find the body of Asif. The families of Sureshkumar and
Asif had lodged a police complaint on Sunday after the boys went missing, police said.
It was on the same day that seven persons, including a
11-year-old girl, belonging to two Anglo-Indian families
drowned when water released suddenly into the river from
Vendipalayam Electricity Barrage swept them away.
Police said out of seven persons washed away, the bodies of
six had been recovered and search is on for the body of a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!