Top CPI leaders meet Jaya, seek support for RS candidate
New Delhi: Top CPI leaders, A B Bardhan and Sudhakar Reddy, on Monday met AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa here to seek support of the ruling party in Tamil Nadu for its Rajya Sabha candidate.
"She told us she has declared (her candidates for) five seats and hopes to win those five. She wished us well for the elections," Bardhan told reporters after a 30-minute meeting he and the CPI General Secretary had with the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister.
She also informed the CPI leaders that the AIADMK would not have much extra votes to share. "We will have to go back to our party and discuss the outcome of our meeting," Bardhan said.
The party is yet to take a formal decision on renominating D Raja or nominate anyone else as its Rajya Sabha candidate.
The Rajya Sabha tenure of Raja, along with A Elavarasan, V Maitreyan (both AIADMK), Kanimozhi, Tiruchi N Siva (both DMK) and B S Gnanadesikan (Cong) expires on July 27.
The Election Commission has decided to hold biennial elections to six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu falling vacant in July. The notification would be issued on June 10 and the date of poll, if necessary, would be on June 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- M&M incorporates Mahindra Airways as wholly-owned subsidiary
- Airtel proposes Rs 30 crore annual package to Sunil Mittal
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies