Top CPI leaders meet Jaya, seek support for RS candidate
New Delhi: Top CPI leaders, A B Bardhan and Sudhakar Reddy, on Monday met AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa here to seek support of the ruling party in Tamil Nadu for its Rajya Sabha candidate.
"She told us she has declared (her candidates for) five seats and hopes to win those five. She wished us well for the elections," Bardhan told reporters after a 30-minute meeting he and the CPI General Secretary had with the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister.
She also informed the CPI leaders that the AIADMK would not have much extra votes to share. "We will have to go back to our party and discuss the outcome of our meeting," Bardhan said.
The party is yet to take a formal decision on renominating D Raja or nominate anyone else as its Rajya Sabha candidate.
The Rajya Sabha tenure of Raja, along with A Elavarasan, V Maitreyan (both AIADMK), Kanimozhi, Tiruchi N Siva (both DMK) and B S Gnanadesikan (Cong) expires on July 27.
The Election Commission has decided to hold biennial elections to six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu falling vacant in July. The notification would be issued on June 10 and the date of poll, if necessary, would be on June 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH