Top DRI official held on graft charge
Chennai: A top Revenue Intelligence (DRI)
official has been arrested by CBI for allegedly accepting
a bribe of Rs two lakh and an iPad from a businessman, CBI
said on Wednesday.
DRI Additional Director General (Chennai Region) C Rajan
was nabbed yesterday following a trap laid by CBI on a
complaint by a city resident alleging the official had
demanded Rs eight lakh and an iPad as illegal gratification, a
CBI release said here.
Besides Rajan, his driver Murugesan was also arrested.
The complainant, F Ubaidullah, alleged that Rajan demanded
the bribe to defreeze the bank accounts of his friend`s
relative, a Burmese national of Indian origin, and not to
proceed against him under COFEPOSA act, it said.
Rajan demanded Rs two lakh and an iPad as the first
installment and collected them through Murugesan, following
which both were taken into custody by a CBI team.
After a phenolphthalein test (the hand wash of the accused
is used as evidence), which proved positive for both of them,
the two were arrested. The tainted currencies worth Rs 2 lakh
and an iPad were recovered, the release said.
Subsequently searches were conducted at the premises of
Rajan, his conduit Peel Jamal and Murugesan and incriminating
documents were seized, it claimed.
Bank balances to the tune of Rs 32 lakh and fixed deposits
of Rs 11 lakh had been frozen, it said.
Rajan and Murugesan were produced before a CBI court which
remanded them to judicial custody till March 21, CBI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report