Top DRI official held on graft charge
Chennai: A top Revenue Intelligence (DRI)
official has been arrested by CBI for allegedly accepting
a bribe of Rs two lakh and an iPad from a businessman, CBI
said on Wednesday.
DRI Additional Director General (Chennai Region) C Rajan
was nabbed yesterday following a trap laid by CBI on a
complaint by a city resident alleging the official had
demanded Rs eight lakh and an iPad as illegal gratification, a
CBI release said here.
Besides Rajan, his driver Murugesan was also arrested.
The complainant, F Ubaidullah, alleged that Rajan demanded
the bribe to defreeze the bank accounts of his friend`s
relative, a Burmese national of Indian origin, and not to
proceed against him under COFEPOSA act, it said.
Rajan demanded Rs two lakh and an iPad as the first
installment and collected them through Murugesan, following
which both were taken into custody by a CBI team.
After a phenolphthalein test (the hand wash of the accused
is used as evidence), which proved positive for both of them,
the two were arrested. The tainted currencies worth Rs 2 lakh
and an iPad were recovered, the release said.
Subsequently searches were conducted at the premises of
Rajan, his conduit Peel Jamal and Murugesan and incriminating
documents were seized, it claimed.
Bank balances to the tune of Rs 32 lakh and fixed deposits
of Rs 11 lakh had been frozen, it said.
Rajan and Murugesan were produced before a CBI court which
remanded them to judicial custody till March 21, CBI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested