Top DRI official held on graft charge
Chennai: A top Revenue Intelligence (DRI)
official has been arrested by CBI for allegedly accepting
a bribe of Rs two lakh and an iPad from a businessman, CBI
said on Wednesday.
DRI Additional Director General (Chennai Region) C Rajan
was nabbed yesterday following a trap laid by CBI on a
complaint by a city resident alleging the official had
demanded Rs eight lakh and an iPad as illegal gratification, a
CBI release said here.
Besides Rajan, his driver Murugesan was also arrested.
The complainant, F Ubaidullah, alleged that Rajan demanded
the bribe to defreeze the bank accounts of his friend`s
relative, a Burmese national of Indian origin, and not to
proceed against him under COFEPOSA act, it said.
Rajan demanded Rs two lakh and an iPad as the first
installment and collected them through Murugesan, following
which both were taken into custody by a CBI team.
After a phenolphthalein test (the hand wash of the accused
is used as evidence), which proved positive for both of them,
the two were arrested. The tainted currencies worth Rs 2 lakh
and an iPad were recovered, the release said.
Subsequently searches were conducted at the premises of
Rajan, his conduit Peel Jamal and Murugesan and incriminating
documents were seized, it claimed.
Bank balances to the tune of Rs 32 lakh and fixed deposits
of Rs 11 lakh had been frozen, it said.
Rajan and Murugesan were produced before a CBI court which
remanded them to judicial custody till March 21, CBI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister