Training of SL air force men kicks up ruckus in TN
Chennai: The reported training of Sri Lankan Air Force personnel by India today came under sharp attack from political parties in Tamil Nadu with Chief Minister Jayalalithaa describing it as an "insult to Tamil people".
Joining the chorus, DMK president M Karunanidhi and MDMK founder Vaiko cited reports about the nine-month training of nine SLAF personnel at an air base near here, and said it was "condemnable" and demanded that they be sent back.
"At a time when there are voices demanding equal status for Tamils in Sri Lanka, reports about Sri Lankan Air force personnel receiving training at the Tambaram Air force station near here has come as a shock to the Tamil people. I strongly condemn this," Jayalalithaa said.
"It is an insult to the Tamil people that the Centre is imparting military training to the Air force personnel of Sri Lanka," Jayalalithaa said, while slamming the Centre for remaining "silent" on a resolution moved by the state assembly calling for economic sanctions against Colombo till minority Tamils were ensured equal status.
She said while there were demands for action against those charged with war crimes, the fact that the personnel were being trained in India and that too in Tamil Nadu was not only improper but also against Tamil people.
"This (training) should be withdrawn immediately and they should be send back," she said in a statement.
Jayalalithaa`s bitter rival Karunanidhi also said if reports in this regard were true, then the training to the military personnel was "condemnable".
"It would be appropriate that the Centre send back those who had come for training (the Sri Lankan Airforce personnel)," he told reporters here.
Vaiko said it was "atrocious" that the military personnel were being trained in Tamil Nadu.
"This is an unpardonable betrayal. They should not only be asked to return home but should not be imparted training in any part of India," he said, while warning of a protest outside the IAF base at Tambaram if the Centre did not heed his demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing