‘Training of SL Air Force officers in India amount
New Delhi: Amid reports that Sri Lankan Air Force personnel are being trained in Chennai, CPI today said the programme amounts to "betrayal" of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka and demanded its immediate scrapping.
Party National Secretary D Raja said the Indian Government should not have agreed to train personnel of the Sri Lankan Air Force as the island nation has not done anything constructive to resolve the ethnic crisis after the end of the war.
"Government of India cannot defend its decision this time by calling it a routine programme with neighbouring countries. The programme should be immediately scrapped and the officers should be sent back. This amounts to betrayal of the Tamils," he said.
He was reacting to reports about the nine-month training of nine SLAF personnel at the Tambaran Air Force station near Chennai.
Raja said the reported training "confirms the fact that India was an active partner" in the last phase of the civil war that ended in 2009.
Sri Lanka has done nothing even after the UNHRC resolution that censured it on account of war crimes which was supported by India and other countries, Raja said.
"What is happening in Sri Lanka is a structural genocide. Tamil-dominated north and eastern parts are under the occupation of Sri Lankan Army. Nothing has been done to end the crisis," he said.
Raja also said the Sri Lankan Government was not listening to India on the fishermen issue and members of the community are being arrested by Sri Lankan Navy regularly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM