‘Training of SL Air Force officers in India amount
New Delhi: Amid reports that Sri Lankan Air Force personnel are being trained in Chennai, CPI today said the programme amounts to "betrayal" of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka and demanded its immediate scrapping.
Party National Secretary D Raja said the Indian Government should not have agreed to train personnel of the Sri Lankan Air Force as the island nation has not done anything constructive to resolve the ethnic crisis after the end of the war.
"Government of India cannot defend its decision this time by calling it a routine programme with neighbouring countries. The programme should be immediately scrapped and the officers should be sent back. This amounts to betrayal of the Tamils," he said.
He was reacting to reports about the nine-month training of nine SLAF personnel at the Tambaran Air Force station near Chennai.
Raja said the reported training "confirms the fact that India was an active partner" in the last phase of the civil war that ended in 2009.
Sri Lanka has done nothing even after the UNHRC resolution that censured it on account of war crimes which was supported by India and other countries, Raja said.
"What is happening in Sri Lanka is a structural genocide. Tamil-dominated north and eastern parts are under the occupation of Sri Lankan Army. Nothing has been done to end the crisis," he said.
Raja also said the Sri Lankan Government was not listening to India on the fishermen issue and members of the community are being arrested by Sri Lankan Navy regularly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH