Tuticorin-Colombo ferry service after TN elections: Vasan
Ramanathapuram: Congress leader and Union
Minister for Shipping G K Vasan on Wednesday assured that the
Tuticorin-Colombo Passenger Ferry Service would begin after
the April 13 Tamil Nadu Assembly elections.
Talking to reporters at Keelakarai near here, he said
the survey for resuming Rameswaram-Talaimannar passenger ferry
service had also been completed, and the service would
Later addressing election meetings in the district, Vasan
said if the governments at the Centre and State had cordial
relations, it would be easy to implement various schemes and
help in the economic development of the state.
Referring to the poll promises of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
M Karunanidhi, Vasan said he had proved his credibility by
implementing all the electoral promises he had made in 2006,
such as the providing rice for one rupee.
Speaking on the measures taken by the UPA government for
the welfare of minorities, the Congress leader said it had
allocated Rs 2,850 crore for Minority welfare.
The educational assistance to the minority students had
benefitted 25 lakh students, Vasan claimed, adding the
government had allocated Rs 1,000 crore for the National
Minorities Development fund.
Ninety districts in the country had received a special fund
of Rs 2,343 crore for development, he said.
Vasan said if people were told about the schemes
implemented by the government, they would vote for the ruling
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened