Tuticorin-Colombo passenger ship service in 3 months
Udhagamandalam: Passenger ship service
between Tuticorin and Colombo would commence in another 3
months, Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan said Wednesday.
India and Sri Lanka have held negotiations in this regard
since 2002, Vasan told reporters here.
He said the Centre has sanctioned a Mega Container
Terminal project to Chennai at a cost of Rs 3,686 crore and
the foundation stone would be laid during this year and works
would begin in 2013 for completion by 2017.
Similarly a dry port at a cost of Rs 125 crore would be
set up in Sriperumbudur, which would be named after former
Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.A car export centre and a public
cargo handling centre would be set up at Ennore.
The ministry has drawn up a plan to increase cargo
handling from 13 major ports of the country from the present
616 million tonnes to 1,000 tonnes and 200 smaller ports from
300 million tonnes to 500 million tones by the end of the
current five-year plan, Vasan said.
On Congress-DMK alliance and recent offer of AIADMK chief
Jayalalithaa to support UPA in the event of DMK withdrawing
support, he said AICC President, Sonia Gandhi would take a
decision on these matters.
To a question on the 2G spectrum scam and subsequent
resignation of A Raja, Vasan said the law would take its own
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea applies for bail, says her medical condition 'deteriorating'