Two accused in SI murder case shot dead
Madurai: Two of the main accused in the murder of a Sub-Inspector, who escaped from custody on
Friday, were shot dead when they tried to attack police personnel who were searching for them, police said.
A police team intercepted Prabhu and Bharathi at Kaalpirivu village near Manamadurai, 15-km from where they escaped earlier while being taken to a court in Sivaganga district from the Central prison here.
The duo attempted to attack the police personnel and police opened fire in self-defence, killing them on the spot, they said.
Prabhu and Bharathi had given police the slip when the police escort team stopped the vehicle in which they were being taken after they complained of chest pain. They attacked two policemen and fled.
The injured policemen were admitted to hospital.
Police registered a case and launched a hunt for them.
Twenty six-year old police sub-inspector Allwyn Sudan was stabbed to death in Sivaganga district by a group of youths on October 27 when he asked them to take an alternative route while they were on their way to attend the death anniversary of the Maruthupandiyar brothers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port