Two accused in SI murder case shot dead
Madurai: Two of the main accused in the murder of a Sub-Inspector, who escaped from custody on
Friday, were shot dead when they tried to attack police personnel who were searching for them, police said.
A police team intercepted Prabhu and Bharathi at Kaalpirivu village near Manamadurai, 15-km from where they escaped earlier while being taken to a court in Sivaganga district from the Central prison here.
The duo attempted to attack the police personnel and police opened fire in self-defence, killing them on the spot, they said.
Prabhu and Bharathi had given police the slip when the police escort team stopped the vehicle in which they were being taken after they complained of chest pain. They attacked two policemen and fled.
The injured policemen were admitted to hospital.
Police registered a case and launched a hunt for them.
Twenty six-year old police sub-inspector Allwyn Sudan was stabbed to death in Sivaganga district by a group of youths on October 27 when he asked them to take an alternative route while they were on their way to attend the death anniversary of the Maruthupandiyar brothers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport