Two AIADMK workers among 4 held for extortion bid
Erode: Four persons, including two AIADMK functionaries, were arrested here on Friday for reportedly trying to con a trader from Rajasthan to hand over Rs 5 lakh for selling banned tobacco products in the city.
Police said the four approached the man last night and demanded the amount, claiming that one of the AIADMK workers among them was `District Chairman of People Forum of India` and `National Bharath Sevak Samaj`. The party worker also told him he was empowered to seize the contraband.
The man said he would pay them Rs 50,000, which they refused to accept. The four then told him they would come again this morning for the money.
Meanwhile, the man filed a complaint with police, who nabbed them while travelling in a car with an emblazoned plate claiming he was "District Chairman, People Forum of India and National Bharath Sevak Samaj".
A Government of India sticker was found pasted on the front and rear of the car and the vehicle was seized, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen