Two cops suspended for custodial death
Tiruchirappalli (TN): Two police personnel in neighbouring Ariyalur have been suspended in connection with the alleged custodial death of a woman and her son, detained for inquiry into a jewel theft case.
DIG Amalraj has ordered the suspension of special team Inspector Balamurugan and Sub-Inspector Rajendran in connection with the July 24 death of the two, police said today.
A police team led by Balamurugan had gone to a jewel polishing unit at Ariryalur, 55 km from here, and had picked up two workers -- Rani (51) and her son Anandh Babu (27) -- for questioning in connection with alleged purchase of stolen jewels.
The woman and her son had vomited and fainted while being taken in the van after they allegedly consumed `mayil thutham` (copper sulphate), police claimed, adding they died while being rushed to the government hospital here.
However, the Jewel Workshop Owners Association alleged that two had died due to "police torture".
An emergency meeting of the association demanded a CB-CID inquiry into the deaths and shut down shops yesterday.
Judicial Magistrate Nagalakshmi conducted initial inquiry.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- 40 cities to be selected in second round of smart city project: Govt
- Archery World Cup: Deepika Kumari makes quarterfinal exit as no Indian left in individual events
- Vedanta posts Q4 loss of Rs 11,181 crore on impairment charge
- RBI proposes to regulate peer-to-peer lending sector
- Mamta Kulkarni's husband involved in country's biggest drug seizure?