Two DMDK MLAs meet Jayalalithaa
Chennai: In a surprise development, two MLAs of actor-politician Vijaykant-led DMDK, which has parted ways with its electoral ally ruling AIADMK on Friday called on Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
R Sundararajan (representing Madurai Central) and K Tamil Azhagan (Thittakudi) met Jayalalithaa at the Secretariat here in connection with issues concerning their constituency, the government said.
After sweeping the April 2011 elections as allies, AIADMK and DMDK, which has 29 members in the assembly, parted ways later.
Vijaykant, the Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly, has turned highly critical of the AIADMK Government after Jayalalithaa a few months ago regretted having forged an alliance with his party for the last year assembly polls.
Sunderrajan told PTI that they met Jayalalithaa to submit petitions regarding welfare measures in their respective constituencies.
He evaded reply when asked if Vijayakant was aware of today`s meeting.
He said he cannot reply to "speculation" that the meeting was a precursor to them quitting DMDK and joining the AIADMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'