Two engineering graduates arrested for kidnapping
Chennai: Two engineering graduates were Wednesday arrested for kidnapping a 13-year-old school student, who was released by them last night after extracting Rs one crore as
ransom from his family.
City Police Commissioner T Rajendran told reporters that
Vijay (26), a BTech, MBA graduate and Prabu (29), an
engineering graduate, masterminded the kidnap of Keerthivasan
and that the ransom amount of about Rs one crore was recovered
Police laid a trap to nab the kidnappers by agreeing to
their terms, he said.
"The kidnappers initially demanded a ransom of Rs three
crore. However, we asked Keerthivasan`s parents to negotiate
with the kidnappers, keeping in mind the boy`s safety," he
Rajendran said though he had asked the boy`s father
Ramesh to pay upto Rs 20 lakh, the man agreed to pay the
kidnappers Rs one crore out of fear for his son`s life.
The kidnappers, after collecting the money, left on a
motorbike and later informed the parents that the boy was safe
in a parked car. "We rescued him immediately," the
Commissioner said, adding that one of the kidnappers was
related to an employee working in the office of Ramesh.
Keerthivasan was abducted at knife-point by two persons
on Monday, an incident which came close on the heels of kidnap
and murder of two children by a cab driver at Coimbatore.
Ramesh is into various businesses, including mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly