Two engineering graduates arrested for kidnapping
Chennai: Two engineering graduates were Wednesday arrested for kidnapping a 13-year-old school student, who was released by them last night after extracting Rs one crore as
ransom from his family.
City Police Commissioner T Rajendran told reporters that
Vijay (26), a BTech, MBA graduate and Prabu (29), an
engineering graduate, masterminded the kidnap of Keerthivasan
and that the ransom amount of about Rs one crore was recovered
Police laid a trap to nab the kidnappers by agreeing to
their terms, he said.
"The kidnappers initially demanded a ransom of Rs three
crore. However, we asked Keerthivasan`s parents to negotiate
with the kidnappers, keeping in mind the boy`s safety," he
Rajendran said though he had asked the boy`s father
Ramesh to pay upto Rs 20 lakh, the man agreed to pay the
kidnappers Rs one crore out of fear for his son`s life.
The kidnappers, after collecting the money, left on a
motorbike and later informed the parents that the boy was safe
in a parked car. "We rescued him immediately," the
Commissioner said, adding that one of the kidnappers was
related to an employee working in the office of Ramesh.
Keerthivasan was abducted at knife-point by two persons
on Monday, an incident which came close on the heels of kidnap
and murder of two children by a cab driver at Coimbatore.
Ramesh is into various businesses, including mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing