Two Engineering students crushed to death
Salem (TN): Two Engineering college students travelling on the footboard of a bus were crushed to death while another was injured today when a sand-laden lorry hit their bus near here, police said.
Salem Superintendent of Police Aswin Kotnis said the deceased were two 19-year-old second year BE students while the injured was a 20-year-old final year student.
The private bus was proceeding from Attur to Salem.
In December last, in a similar accident four students were crushed to death in Chennai prompting the Madras High Court to take a suo motu cognizance of the accident.
The court has proposed that if any student is found travelling on the footboard, the matter may be reported not only to the parent of the concerned student, but also to the Principal of the educational institution concerned.
"..And if he repeats the same thing for the second or third time, the school may take action for removal of such students, after notice to the parent," a Division Bench had said.
Hearing on the proceedings are continuing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know