Two former ministers of DMK & PMK join AIADMK
Chennai: Two former Ministers of DMK and PMK Friday joined the ruling AIADMK boosting its Dalit portfolio.
DMK`s Parithi Ilamvazhuthi and E Ponnusamy, who had quit PMK a few months ago protesting party founder Dr S Ramadoss`s strident stand against SC/ST communities on certain issues, joined AIADMK in the presence of party supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa here.
Incidentally, Ilamvazhuthi, a former Minister and popular face in DMK prior to his quitting the Karunanidhi-led party after its May 2011 poll debacle, had faced a vigilance probe after AIADMK assumed power. He had lost the elections to DMDK candidate from Egmore constituency.
Ponnusamy is a former Minister of State and had been elected from Chidambaram Lok Sabha constituency twice.
A senior leader of PMK prior to his walking out of the party, Ponnusamy was seen as the "Dalit Face" of the party, which claims to largely represent interests of the Vanniyar community.
Recently, Ramadoss had taken a strong stand against Dalits and had been even campaigning against inter-caste marriages involving the two communities. Ponnusamy had walked out of the party protesting this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ringing Bells starts delivery of Freedom 251 smartphone from today
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's latest video is CUTE! Watch here
- Lenovo K4 Note gets a price cut; available at Rs 10,999
- RSS trying to ''appease'' Muslims: Shiv Sena
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Minnows Iceland dump mighty England out of Euro 2016