Two former ministers of DMK & PMK join AIADMK
Chennai: Two former Ministers of DMK and PMK Friday joined the ruling AIADMK boosting its Dalit portfolio.
DMK`s Parithi Ilamvazhuthi and E Ponnusamy, who had quit PMK a few months ago protesting party founder Dr S Ramadoss`s strident stand against SC/ST communities on certain issues, joined AIADMK in the presence of party supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa here.
Incidentally, Ilamvazhuthi, a former Minister and popular face in DMK prior to his quitting the Karunanidhi-led party after its May 2011 poll debacle, had faced a vigilance probe after AIADMK assumed power. He had lost the elections to DMDK candidate from Egmore constituency.
Ponnusamy is a former Minister of State and had been elected from Chidambaram Lok Sabha constituency twice.
A senior leader of PMK prior to his walking out of the party, Ponnusamy was seen as the "Dalit Face" of the party, which claims to largely represent interests of the Vanniyar community.
Recently, Ramadoss had taken a strong stand against Dalits and had been even campaigning against inter-caste marriages involving the two communities. Ponnusamy had walked out of the party protesting this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof