Two former officials of IT dept awarded 2 yrs RI
Chennai: A CBI court on Thursday sentenced two former officials of the Income Tax department to two years rigorous imprisonment in a graft case.
CBI Special Judge in Coimbatore H Joseph David held the duo C U Ashokan and N Gopalsamy guilty in the case and pronounced the verdict on them, an official release here said.
Besides this, a penalty of Rs 6,000 was imposed on each of the convicts.
The former Income Tax officers were arrested in 2008 for demanding illegal gratification of Rs 25,000 by abusing their official position for not taking any action on a tax evasion petition complaint against M Vasanthi hailing from Tirupur, the release said.
A trap was laid to nab the duo and they were caught while accepting the money from R Udayakumar, a relative of Vasanthi, it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India