Two former officials of IT dept awarded 2 yrs RI
Chennai: A CBI court on Thursday sentenced two former officials of the Income Tax department to two years rigorous imprisonment in a graft case.
CBI Special Judge in Coimbatore H Joseph David held the duo C U Ashokan and N Gopalsamy guilty in the case and pronounced the verdict on them, an official release here said.
Besides this, a penalty of Rs 6,000 was imposed on each of the convicts.
The former Income Tax officers were arrested in 2008 for demanding illegal gratification of Rs 25,000 by abusing their official position for not taking any action on a tax evasion petition complaint against M Vasanthi hailing from Tirupur, the release said.
A trap was laid to nab the duo and they were caught while accepting the money from R Udayakumar, a relative of Vasanthi, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen