Two former officials of IT dept awarded 2 yrs RI
Chennai: A CBI court on Thursday sentenced two former officials of the Income Tax department to two years rigorous imprisonment in a graft case.
CBI Special Judge in Coimbatore H Joseph David held the duo C U Ashokan and N Gopalsamy guilty in the case and pronounced the verdict on them, an official release here said.
Besides this, a penalty of Rs 6,000 was imposed on each of the convicts.
The former Income Tax officers were arrested in 2008 for demanding illegal gratification of Rs 25,000 by abusing their official position for not taking any action on a tax evasion petition complaint against M Vasanthi hailing from Tirupur, the release said.
A trap was laid to nab the duo and they were caught while accepting the money from R Udayakumar, a relative of Vasanthi, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border