Two held for duping private bank customers in TN
Chennai: Two persons, who allegedly misappropriated nearly Rs 10 lakh from customers of three leading private banks, were arrested Wednesday.
Acting on complaints, police nabbed Santhosh, an employee of a mall and his accomplish Karthik Ramalingom. During the interrogation, the duo claimed to have admitted to having "intentionally" stolen the data of bank customers who visited the mall with a view to fraudulently withdraw the money.
Investigation revealed the Electronic Data Capturing (EDC) machine issued to the merchant establishment at the mall was in a compromising point from where the data were stolen, a police release said.
It said the bank fraud prevention team of the central crime branch has been of late receiving complaints from customers of various banks in Chennai that money has been fraudulently withdrawn from their account while their credit/debit cards were in their possession.
Police said this could be made possible if the card holders instead of presenting the card themselves opt to hand them over through service boys who could be acting as agents of fraudsters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends