Two held for duping private bank customers in TN
Chennai: Two persons, who allegedly misappropriated nearly Rs 10 lakh from customers of three leading private banks, were arrested Wednesday.
Acting on complaints, police nabbed Santhosh, an employee of a mall and his accomplish Karthik Ramalingom. During the interrogation, the duo claimed to have admitted to having "intentionally" stolen the data of bank customers who visited the mall with a view to fraudulently withdraw the money.
Investigation revealed the Electronic Data Capturing (EDC) machine issued to the merchant establishment at the mall was in a compromising point from where the data were stolen, a police release said.
It said the bank fraud prevention team of the central crime branch has been of late receiving complaints from customers of various banks in Chennai that money has been fraudulently withdrawn from their account while their credit/debit cards were in their possession.
Police said this could be made possible if the card holders instead of presenting the card themselves opt to hand them over through service boys who could be acting as agents of fraudsters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Watch: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in 11 years today!
- 27 flights diverted as bad weather triggers chaos in Delhi Airport
- CHSE Odisha 12th (+2) Arts and Commerce Result 2016 is expected to be declared today on 30th May - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Wow! Indian professionals 'most confident' globally, says a survey
- Here's what Jacqueline Fernandez feels about Salman Khan-Iulia Vantur marriage! Details inside