Two held for trying to set themselves afire
Salem: Two DMK functionaries have been arrested for trying to set themselves ablaze protesting detention of former Minister under the Goondas Act, as eight government buses were stoned, police said.
DMK District Secretary Jayapoopathy and another worker were arrested when they doused themselves with kerosene at the bus-stand in Edapadi taluk last night.
Police said eight state government owned transport corporation buses were stoned after news about the detention of the Salem strongman came in.
Arumugam, arrested earlier this month in a land grabbing case and lodged in the Vellore jail, was detained under the stringent Goondas Act yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know