Two held for trying to set themselves afire
Salem: Two DMK functionaries have been arrested for trying to set themselves ablaze protesting detention of former Minister under the Goondas Act, as eight government buses were stoned, police said.
DMK District Secretary Jayapoopathy and another worker were arrested when they doused themselves with kerosene at the bus-stand in Edapadi taluk last night.
Police said eight state government owned transport corporation buses were stoned after news about the detention of the Salem strongman came in.
Arumugam, arrested earlier this month in a land grabbing case and lodged in the Vellore jail, was detained under the stringent Goondas Act yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’