Two held for trying to set themselves afire
Salem: Two DMK functionaries have been arrested for trying to set themselves ablaze protesting detention of former Minister under the Goondas Act, as eight government buses were stoned, police said.
DMK District Secretary Jayapoopathy and another worker were arrested when they doused themselves with kerosene at the bus-stand in Edapadi taluk last night.
Police said eight state government owned transport corporation buses were stoned after news about the detention of the Salem strongman came in.
Arumugam, arrested earlier this month in a land grabbing case and lodged in the Vellore jail, was detained under the stringent Goondas Act yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP