Two Indian Coast Guard sailors missing
Chennai: Two Indian Coast Guard sailors
on board a Sri Lankan fishing boat being towed to Chennai are
missing from the last two days, officials said on Friday.
Officials said the boat might have strayed into Sri
Lankan waters and there was delay in rescuing the sailors as
contact could not be established with fishermen on board.
The Coast Guard is also in touch with Sri Lankan
authorities to get the sailors released.
On Wednesday night, a Coast Guard patrol ship spotted
Sri Lankan fishermen on seven boats fishing in Indian waters,
intercepted them and deployed two sailors on each of the
vessels before towing them towards Chennai.
After some time, the seventh boat with five fishermen
and two sailors was found missing, amid suspicision that they
might have been overpowered by the former.
Sri Lankan fishermen often stray into Indian waters to
net prize catch like tuna and end up in Coast Guard and police
Coast Guard officials said the other six boats are in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- 'No skirts' for tourists: Kejriwal hits back, says women had greater freedom in Vedic times than in Modi's rule
- 'No skirt' row: Mahesh Sharma clarifies, says 'I've daughters, would never tell women what to wear'
- Salman Khan parties with his 'Dabangg 3' heroines? Scoop inside
- Good news! Airtel cuts 4G price by up to 80% to check R Jio effect
- Bulandshahr rape case: No CBI probe, says Supreme Court