Two key suspects in attempt on LK Advani`s life held
Puttur: Two key suspects in an attempt to kill BJP veteran LK Advani and in the murder of other Sangh Parivar leaders were arrested here on Saturday in a major operation jointly by the police of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
Panna Ismail and Bilal Malik, two key suspects in the 2011 Advani pipe bomb case and many other cases, were apprehended after hundreds of armed personnel of police of both the states surrounded a house here, close to the border with Tamil Nadu, and forced them to come out by using tear gas.
A Police Inspector suffered injuries when he entered the house in disguise and was pulled in by the suspected militants while Panna Ismail suffered bullet injuries when police fired at the house in a bid to bring the suspects out.
The operation, which lasted for about 12 hours in this sleepy town, involved heavily-armed personnel from Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and OCTOPUS (Organisation To Counter Terrorist Operations).
"Panna Ismail and Bilal Malik were arrested. Malik`s wife and three children (who were with the accused during the operation) safely came out (later on)," DGP K Ramanujam told PTI.
Ismail was admitted to Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital where three-tier protection has been provided for him.
A gun and some explosives were also recovered from a house in the area, police said, adding they are being inspected for leads.
With this and yesterday`s arrest of `Police` Fakruddin, three of the four suspects in the cases were arrested by Crime Branch of Tamil Nadu Police.
Apart from the 2011 Advani pipe bomb case, the arrested were also believed to be involved in the recent murders of BJP and Sangh parivar unit leaders in Tamil Nadu.
The arrest of the key suspects comes days ahead of BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s proposed visit to Chennai on October 18.
The fourth suspect Abu Backer Siddique is still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!