Two killed, several trapped as multi-storey building collapses in Chennai
Chennai Building collapse — Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa took stock of the situation and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams rushed to suburban Porur where two persons were killed and several others feared trapped when an under construction 11-storeyed building collapsed on Saturday.
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa took stock of the situation and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams rushed to suburban Porur where two persons were killed and several others feared trapped when an under construction 11-storeyed building collapsed on Saturday.
A total of 12 persons were admitted in the nearby Sri Ramachandra Medical University, where the two persons breathed their last, hospital spokesperson P V Nallamuthu said.
One person was in the Intensive Care Unit, he added.
Police also confirmed two men had been killed in the mishap.
Rescue officials at the spot said that five persons had been rescued with injuries and they have been referred to a nearby private hospital.
Fire and Rescue Services Joint Director S Vijayasekar earlier said according to eyewitnesses there were about 50 construction workers at the site at the time of the collapse.
Expressing grief over the incident, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said that on her directives, NDRF teams had rushed from neighbouring Arakkonam even as multi-agency relief operations involving were on in full swing.
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah expressed " deep shock" over the incident and wished speedy recovery to the injured workers.
"I am deeply shocked to hear that several construction workers were injured in the collapse of a eleven storeyed building which was under construction at Moulivakkam, near Porur, Chennai.", he said in a Raj Bhavan release.
"I am sad that many of the construction workers who are from other States have been trapped in the debris. I wish the injured a speedy recovery", he said.
In a statement here, she said she ordered officials to initiate legal proceedings against those responsible for the incident.
Jayalalithaa said she had ordered best medical treatment to the injured and deputed Minister for Animal Husbandry T K M Chinnaiah to the spot besides directing senior officials to take stock of the situation.
She said special lighting arrangements had been made to ensure unhindered rescue operations through the night.
"I have ordered police officials to take legal action against those responsible for the incident," she said.
Besides, she has also ordered for supply of rescue equipment from Chennai Metro Rail Limited, City Corporation and High ways departments.
Twelve fire tenders and more than 100 personnel were
involved in the rescue work.
Meanwhile, building firm Prime Sristi, which has taken up the residential project, claimed the incident occurred due to the impact of thunder.
"Usually, once the construction gets over we install the equipment to prevent the building from thunder strike. It was nearing completion," Balaguru, Director, Prime Sristi, said.
He said about 50 workers were inside the building during the mishap and there was a heavy downpour at that time.
The mishap resulted in heavy traffic jam in the area.
Police said they had made special arrangements for the ambulances to carry the injured to a nearby private hospital swiftly.
With PTI Inputs