Two Sivakasi fire cracker units go up in flames
Chennai: Blasts were triggered by raging flames that engulfed two fire cracker units on Thursday near Sivakasi town in Tamil Nadu, authorities said. There were immediately no reports of casualties.
The massive fire broke out at Chidambaram fire works and quickly spread to the adjoining Krishnaswamy fire works.
Three fire tenders battled the fire after information was received at around 1.20 pm, said an official at the Sivakasi Fire Station.
He said fire tenders were engaged in putting out the flame while blasts could be heard.
Inspector P Parthiban at Maraneri police station in Sivakasi told a news agency that a 50-year-old woman got injured while running away from the fire. The fire broke out during lunch time due to which there were no casualties and workers escaped unscathed.
The official said the fire cracker unit is around four km from the police station and nine km from Sivakasi town.
Senior officials rushed to the spot.
According to officials, Chidambaram fire cracker unit is engaged in making fancy fire crackers.
Sivakasi in Virudhunagar district, around 510 km from here, is one of the oldest and biggest firecracker manufacturing hubs in India. Nearly 90 percent of the country`s fireworks are made in Sivakasi along with 80 percent of the safety matches.
Low rainfall and dry climate are conductive for this industry in Sivakasi where the annual turnover is over Rs 2,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing