‘Ulterior motive’ behind Kudankulam stir: PC
Sivaganga (TN): Home Minister P Chidambaram
has said there was "some ulterior motive" behind continuance
of the protest against the nuclear power plant at Kudankulam
despite assurance from the government that it is safe.
Addressing Congress workers here on Sunday, he expressed
serious concern over the power crisis in Tamil Nadu and
asked the state government to take steps to find an early
solution to the problem.
On the stir against the Kudankulam plant, he said there
was "some ulterior motive" behind continuance of the protest.
Chidambaram said he had asked the previous government also
"to take serious steps to resolve power problem".
Maintaining that India wanted to maintain cordial relations
with all its neighbouring countries, Chidambaram said the
country supported a resolution in UNHRC against Sri Lanka
for alleged war crimes "after a serious thinking".
External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had also made a
statement on the resolution in Parliament, he said.
India last week voted for the US-sponsored resolution at the
UN`s top human rights body censuring Sri Lanka for alleged
rights violations during the war against LTTE after persuading
the resolution-sponsor to make two changes in the draft so
that it became "non-intrusive" and contributes to political
reconciliation process in the island.
Congress had not betrayed the interests of Tamils in Sri
Lanka, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India