‘Ulterior motive’ behind Kudankulam stir: PC
Sivaganga (TN): Home Minister P Chidambaram
has said there was "some ulterior motive" behind continuance
of the protest against the nuclear power plant at Kudankulam
despite assurance from the government that it is safe.
Addressing Congress workers here on Sunday, he expressed
serious concern over the power crisis in Tamil Nadu and
asked the state government to take steps to find an early
solution to the problem.
On the stir against the Kudankulam plant, he said there
was "some ulterior motive" behind continuance of the protest.
Chidambaram said he had asked the previous government also
"to take serious steps to resolve power problem".
Maintaining that India wanted to maintain cordial relations
with all its neighbouring countries, Chidambaram said the
country supported a resolution in UNHRC against Sri Lanka
for alleged war crimes "after a serious thinking".
External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had also made a
statement on the resolution in Parliament, he said.
India last week voted for the US-sponsored resolution at the
UN`s top human rights body censuring Sri Lanka for alleged
rights violations during the war against LTTE after persuading
the resolution-sponsor to make two changes in the draft so
that it became "non-intrusive" and contributes to political
reconciliation process in the island.
Congress had not betrayed the interests of Tamils in Sri
Lanka, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!