‘Ulterior motive’ behind Kudankulam stir: PC
Sivaganga (TN): Home Minister P Chidambaram
has said there was "some ulterior motive" behind continuance
of the protest against the nuclear power plant at Kudankulam
despite assurance from the government that it is safe.
Addressing Congress workers here on Sunday, he expressed
serious concern over the power crisis in Tamil Nadu and
asked the state government to take steps to find an early
solution to the problem.
On the stir against the Kudankulam plant, he said there
was "some ulterior motive" behind continuance of the protest.
Chidambaram said he had asked the previous government also
"to take serious steps to resolve power problem".
Maintaining that India wanted to maintain cordial relations
with all its neighbouring countries, Chidambaram said the
country supported a resolution in UNHRC against Sri Lanka
for alleged war crimes "after a serious thinking".
External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had also made a
statement on the resolution in Parliament, he said.
India last week voted for the US-sponsored resolution at the
UN`s top human rights body censuring Sri Lanka for alleged
rights violations during the war against LTTE after persuading
the resolution-sponsor to make two changes in the draft so
that it became "non-intrusive" and contributes to political
reconciliation process in the island.
Congress had not betrayed the interests of Tamils in Sri
Lanka, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Malaika Arora maintains silence over Salman's rape metaphor
- `Run machine` Virat Kohli credits physical fitness for consistency in performance
- LeEco sells 61,000 units of Le 2 and Le Max2 for online sales record of Rs 78 cr
- Madhuri Dixit turns singer on reality show
- Tripura Civil Service officer rapes woman in Agartala, now absconding