Unaccounted cash worth over Rs 6 cr seized in TN so far
Chennai: Over Rs six crore in cash, sarees and jewelleries worth Rs 42.50 lakh have been seized in Tamil Nadu so far by election authorities as part of measures to curb bribing of voters during the coming Lok Sabha polls.
Teams such as flying squads and static surveillance teams, formed as part of measures taken by the Election Commission to curb bribing of voters during the general elections 2014, have seized cash of Rs 6.06 crore till March 12, Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar said in a statment.
Besides, non-cash items including sarees and jewelleries valued at Rs 42.50 lakh were also seized, he said.
"The entire process of seizure have been video graphed. The seized cash and other items have been handed over to the Treasury and follow up action is being taken by the (respective) District Election Officers," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples