UNHRC: DMK hopes PM will not go back on his promise
Chennai: DMK, a key UPA ally, on Thursday hoped India would back a resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC session in Geneva but was critical of External Affairs Minister SM Krishna for reportedly saying New Delhi was yet to decide on the issue.
"We are quite confident that the Prime Minister will not go back on his promise given by him in Parliament," DMK President M Karunanidhi told reporters here.
Amidst mounting pressure from its ally DMK and other parties, Singh had said India was "inclined to" vote in favour of a resolution on Sri Lanka at the UN which meets "our objectives" with regard to the future of ethnic Tamils.
Karunanidhi was also critical of Krishna`s reported observation to his Sri Lankan counterpart GL Peiris that India has not decided on the issue so far.
"Though SM Krishna is a good friend of mine, he does not give his replies after carefully taking stock of the situation," the DMK chief said.
The Prime Minister has stated in Parliament that though the full details of the resolution were not available, India was inclined to support the resolution for the Sri Lankan Tamils to be treated with equality, self-respect and dignity, he pointed out.
"Even after all this, the reply of SM Krishna that in regard to the resolution, India has not finally decided is an attempt to divert the entire issue," Karunanidhi said.
The DMK chief expressed happiness that Union ministers GK Vasan and V Narayanasamy, "having Tamil sentiments in them" were "very firm" and "openly telling" that India will support the resolution against Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in