Union Ministers spar over Mullaperiyar Dam
New Delhi: Union Minister Vayalar Ravi on Sunday slammed his colleague and Home Minister P Chidambaram for his remarks on the Mullaperiyar Dam, calling them as "unfortunate" and said they only showed his "political immaturity".
Ravi, Overseas Indian Affairs Minister and senior Congress leader from Kerala, said he was "disappointed" at Chidambaram for going against the views of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who has called for peace between the two states on the issue.
"It is very unfortunate that Chidambaram made a statement. As a Home Minister he is not expected to make such statements. It only shows his political immaturity even though he was speaking at a Congress function," Ravi told reporters here.
He was responding to a question on Chidambaram`s statement yesterday that Kerala`s apprehension over safety of Mullaperiyar dam was "unnecessary" and linked it to "bypoll fear".
However, Chidambaram withdrew his remarks relating to bypoll this morning.
"I disagree with his (Chidambaram`s) statement. GK Vasan (Shipping Minister) made a matured statement," Ravi said. Chidambaram and Vasan were addressing a Congress rally in Chennai yesterday.
Ravi said people expect Chidambaram to go along with the view of the Prime Minister on the issue.
"Unfortunately, Chidambaram`s statement has contradicted the views of the Prime Minister on the issue. I, as a member of the Cabinet, feel very much disappointed over his remarks," the minister said.
Ravi said being a senior leader and the Home Minister, Chidambaram should persuade Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa to come to the negotiating table to settle the dam issue with Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP