Union Ministers spar over Mullaperiyar Dam
New Delhi: Union Minister Vayalar Ravi on Sunday slammed his colleague and Home Minister P Chidambaram for his remarks on the Mullaperiyar Dam, calling them as "unfortunate" and said they only showed his "political immaturity".
Ravi, Overseas Indian Affairs Minister and senior Congress leader from Kerala, said he was "disappointed" at Chidambaram for going against the views of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who has called for peace between the two states on the issue.
"It is very unfortunate that Chidambaram made a statement. As a Home Minister he is not expected to make such statements. It only shows his political immaturity even though he was speaking at a Congress function," Ravi told reporters here.
He was responding to a question on Chidambaram`s statement yesterday that Kerala`s apprehension over safety of Mullaperiyar dam was "unnecessary" and linked it to "bypoll fear".
However, Chidambaram withdrew his remarks relating to bypoll this morning.
"I disagree with his (Chidambaram`s) statement. GK Vasan (Shipping Minister) made a matured statement," Ravi said. Chidambaram and Vasan were addressing a Congress rally in Chennai yesterday.
Ravi said people expect Chidambaram to go along with the view of the Prime Minister on the issue.
"Unfortunately, Chidambaram`s statement has contradicted the views of the Prime Minister on the issue. I, as a member of the Cabinet, feel very much disappointed over his remarks," the minister said.
Ravi said being a senior leader and the Home Minister, Chidambaram should persuade Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa to come to the negotiating table to settle the dam issue with Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA