UP: Jairam Ramesh shown black flags for temple remark
Agra: Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh was shown black flags on Thursday by a group of saffron activists near here in protest against his controversial remark that there are more temples than toilets in India.
The activists jumped in front of Ramesh`s convoy and protested, prompting the police to use mild force to disperse them.
The Union Minister was on his way to Agra to meet the representatives of Ekta Parishad and Jan Satyagrah who are demanding a national land reform policy and tribunals for settling down claims in this regard.
The Jan Satyagrah had launched a march to the capital for getting their demands accepted by the government.
The march, which started on October 2 from Gwalior, was discontinued after Ramesh signed an agreement with Jan Satyagrah leader P V Rajagopal for brining in land reforms and addressing the issues of the landless poor in the country.
Ramesh had held meetings with the activists here in his office and had promised them a positive action.
The Rural Development Minister has been receiving negative reactions from political parties and various groups for saying that there are more temples in the country than toilets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Here’s why Lord Shiva is also known as Neelkantha
- Ravichandran Ashwin replaces Yashir Shah at the top of ICC bowler rankings
- Hubble peers into the core of a starburst galaxy – See pic!
- JuD medical team wants to visit Kashmir to treat injured, applies for Indian visa
- Twin suicide bombs kill 13 near Mogadishu airport