UPSC: PM asked to intervene for TN students
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Monday claimed that Hindi-speaking candidates enjoyed an edge due to changes incorporated in the UPSC exams in 2010 and sought the intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in extending similar benefits to Tamil-speaking students to ensure a level-playing field.
The UPSC had introduced a "significant change," in the Civil Services Aptitude Test and questions in the new format were framed in such a way that only candidates well-versed in English will be able to answer them within the stipulated time of two hours, Karunandihi, whose DMK is a key constituent in the UPA, said in a letter to Singh.
"However such questions are also found translated in Hindi. So candidates who are conversant in Hindi can understand the questions easily by reading its Hindi version," he said.
The change had allowed Hindi-speaking candidates end up scoring more in CSAT and has emerged as a "severe challenge" for those from Tamil Nadu, he said, adding, the present system was in violation of Article 14 of the Constitution, ie Right to Equality.
He said while 122 of 980 candidates selected through Union Public Service Commission exams in 2010 hailed from the state, it had dipped to 68 out of 910 the next year and blamed the change in pattern for the declining trend, claiming it had put the Tamil-speaking students "at a clear disadvantage."
If the present system of framing questions continued, it would result in a further dip. Candidates from Tamil Nadu were of the view that the benefit provided to their Hindi-speaking counterparts should be extended to them also, Karunanidhi said.
The Railway Board conducted exams in Tamil and UPSC should also consider doing so, he said.
The objective of the UPSC exam was to test and select the best and brightest candidates and its purpose will not be diluted by providing translation of the questions in Tamil as well as Hindi. This will provide candidates from the state a level playing field, he said.
"Kindly intervene to find a solution to the issue that is likely to make a lasting impact on the policy and programmes of the country in future," he told Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'