US Consulate officials meet Chennai Police Commissioner
Chennai: With some Muslim organisations protesting for the past few days over a controversial American movie, officials of the US Consulate here met the City Police Commissioner S George on Thursday.
Consulate and police sources merely confirmed the meeting but refused to divulge details.
The meeting comes against the backdrop of protesters targeting the Consulate over the movie, "Innocence of Muslims," deemed offensive to Islam.
Security had been stepped up at the Consulate here following stone-pelting incidents on Friday last, prompting the officials to close down the consulate till Thursday, cancelling and rescheduling visa appointments.
Meanwhile, visa appointments scheduled for tomorrow were also cancelled and it will resume from Monday, a spokesperson for the Consulate said.
George has taken over as Police Commissioner yesterday from J K Tripathy, who has been removed from the post, apparently over his failure to bring law and order under control following the incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials