US Consulate officials meet Chennai Police Commissioner
Chennai: With some Muslim organisations protesting for the past few days over a controversial American movie, officials of the US Consulate here met the City Police Commissioner S George on Thursday.
Consulate and police sources merely confirmed the meeting but refused to divulge details.
The meeting comes against the backdrop of protesters targeting the Consulate over the movie, "Innocence of Muslims," deemed offensive to Islam.
Security had been stepped up at the Consulate here following stone-pelting incidents on Friday last, prompting the officials to close down the consulate till Thursday, cancelling and rescheduling visa appointments.
Meanwhile, visa appointments scheduled for tomorrow were also cancelled and it will resume from Monday, a spokesperson for the Consulate said.
George has taken over as Police Commissioner yesterday from J K Tripathy, who has been removed from the post, apparently over his failure to bring law and order under control following the incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa