US Consulate officials meet Chennai Police Commissioner
Chennai: With some Muslim organisations protesting for the past few days over a controversial American movie, officials of the US Consulate here met the City Police Commissioner S George on Thursday.
Consulate and police sources merely confirmed the meeting but refused to divulge details.
The meeting comes against the backdrop of protesters targeting the Consulate over the movie, "Innocence of Muslims," deemed offensive to Islam.
Security had been stepped up at the Consulate here following stone-pelting incidents on Friday last, prompting the officials to close down the consulate till Thursday, cancelling and rescheduling visa appointments.
Meanwhile, visa appointments scheduled for tomorrow were also cancelled and it will resume from Monday, a spokesperson for the Consulate said.
George has taken over as Police Commissioner yesterday from J K Tripathy, who has been removed from the post, apparently over his failure to bring law and order under control following the incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir