Vaiko appears before tribunal to support LTTE, plea rejected
New Delhi: The special tribunal, headed
by a High Court Justice to examine the legality of extension
of ban on Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam(LTTE), today
declined a plea made by Vaiko, General Secretary MDMK, to hear
him before passing any order.
Vaiko, a known LTTE sympathiser from Tamilnadu,
pleaded before Justice Vikarmjit Sen to allow him to argue
before the tribunal saying that a supporter of the banned
organisation has a right to be heard but the plea was turned
The tribunal fixed Friday for further proceeding in
On May 14, Centre had decided to extend the ban on the
outfit for two more years following reports that the remnants
of Sri Lankan rebel group were regrouping in Tamil Nadu.
Through a notification, the Home Ministry had stated
that even though LTTE was defeated in Sri Lanka, the reports
reveal that "remnant LTTE cadres and leaders were regrouping
in Tamil Nadu".
The possibility of LTTE`s remnant cadres using India
and especially Tamil Nadu as a rear base for their regrouping
activities.....LTTE sympathisers were posing a threat to India
as they continue to spread anti-India sentiments through the
medium of Internet," the Home Ministry had noted.
The LTTE has been listed as a terror organisation by
various countries including the U S.
India named the V Prabhakaran-led group as a terror
outfit and banned it in 1992 after the rebel outfit
assassinated former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video