Vaiko arrested for protesting Kerala dam
Coimbatore: MDMK general secretary Vaiko was
arrested along with about 100 party workers near Amaravathy
check-post, 90 km from here, when they were proceeding to
Kerala Friday to check whether that state government was
constructing a dam across Pamba river which also caters to
thousands of acres for irrigation in TN.
Earlier, addressing party workers Vaiko said that the
reported construction of the dam would deprive water to
thousands of farmers in Tirupur district who were dependent on
the river for irrigation.
If need arose, his party would block supply of essential
commodities being transported to Kerala from Tamil Nadu if it
continued with it efforts to construct the dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days