Vaiko arrested for protesting Kerala dam
Coimbatore: MDMK general secretary Vaiko was
arrested along with about 100 party workers near Amaravathy
check-post, 90 km from here, when they were proceeding to
Kerala Friday to check whether that state government was
constructing a dam across Pamba river which also caters to
thousands of acres for irrigation in TN.
Earlier, addressing party workers Vaiko said that the
reported construction of the dam would deprive water to
thousands of farmers in Tirupur district who were dependent on
the river for irrigation.
If need arose, his party would block supply of essential
commodities being transported to Kerala from Tamil Nadu if it
continued with it efforts to construct the dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands