Vaiko arrested for protesting Kerala dam
Coimbatore: MDMK general secretary Vaiko was
arrested along with about 100 party workers near Amaravathy
check-post, 90 km from here, when they were proceeding to
Kerala Friday to check whether that state government was
constructing a dam across Pamba river which also caters to
thousands of acres for irrigation in TN.
Earlier, addressing party workers Vaiko said that the
reported construction of the dam would deprive water to
thousands of farmers in Tirupur district who were dependent on
the river for irrigation.
If need arose, his party would block supply of essential
commodities being transported to Kerala from Tamil Nadu if it
continued with it efforts to construct the dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’