Vaiko arrested for protesting Kerala dam
Coimbatore: MDMK general secretary Vaiko was
arrested along with about 100 party workers near Amaravathy
check-post, 90 km from here, when they were proceeding to
Kerala Friday to check whether that state government was
constructing a dam across Pamba river which also caters to
thousands of acres for irrigation in TN.
Earlier, addressing party workers Vaiko said that the
reported construction of the dam would deprive water to
thousands of farmers in Tirupur district who were dependent on
the river for irrigation.
If need arose, his party would block supply of essential
commodities being transported to Kerala from Tamil Nadu if it
continued with it efforts to construct the dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police