Vaiko begins one-day hunger strike against fishermen attacks
Nagapattinam: MDMK General Secretary Vaiko on Sunday began a one-day hunger strike here condemning the
"indiscriminate attack" on Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan
CPI state secretary D Pandian inaugurated the strike,
in which a large number of MDMK cadre are also taking part.
According to a statement, MDMK has organised the
strike to condemn the Tamil Nadu and Union governments for not
taking effective steps to prevent attacks on the fishermen.
Two Indian fishermen were allegedly killed within 10
days by the Lankan Navy last month, which led to widespread
condemnation and protest.
On January 31, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao, during
a meeting with Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa in Colombo,
had expressed India`s serious concern over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj