Vaiko begins one-day hunger strike against fishermen attacks
Nagapattinam: MDMK General Secretary Vaiko on Sunday began a one-day hunger strike here condemning the
"indiscriminate attack" on Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan
CPI state secretary D Pandian inaugurated the strike,
in which a large number of MDMK cadre are also taking part.
According to a statement, MDMK has organised the
strike to condemn the Tamil Nadu and Union governments for not
taking effective steps to prevent attacks on the fishermen.
Two Indian fishermen were allegedly killed within 10
days by the Lankan Navy last month, which led to widespread
condemnation and protest.
On January 31, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao, during
a meeting with Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa in Colombo,
had expressed India`s serious concern over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy
- Asha Kumari appointed AICC incharge of Punjab