Vaiko begins one-day hunger strike against fishermen attacks
Nagapattinam: MDMK General Secretary Vaiko on Sunday began a one-day hunger strike here condemning the
"indiscriminate attack" on Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan
CPI state secretary D Pandian inaugurated the strike,
in which a large number of MDMK cadre are also taking part.
According to a statement, MDMK has organised the
strike to condemn the Tamil Nadu and Union governments for not
taking effective steps to prevent attacks on the fishermen.
Two Indian fishermen were allegedly killed within 10
days by the Lankan Navy last month, which led to widespread
condemnation and protest.
On January 31, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao, during
a meeting with Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa in Colombo,
had expressed India`s serious concern over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal