Vaiko flays Centre for its cordial ties with Sri Lanka
Chennai: MDMK chief Vaiko Wednesday slammed Congress-led UPA for maintaining cordial relations with Sri Lanka despite reservations in Tamil Nadu and alleged that the former was using its key southern ally DMK to divert people away from the issue.
In a statement, Vaiko, a staunch pro-Tamil leader, claimed that the Lanka-specific resolution by US at the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC), which DMK wants India to support, will do no justice to Tamils as it has no mention of terms like `genocide` nor was there any condemnation of alleged human rights violations.
He alleged that India had helped Sri Lanka with arms and expertise during the final assault on LTTE in 2009 "which resulted in deaths of lakhs of Tamils," even as it remained ignorant to pleas urging it to ask Colombo to halt hostilities.
"The Centre welcomes and receives (Sri Lankan President Mahinda) Rajapaksa. And despite Tamil Nadu Assembly passing a resolution seeking economic sanctions against Colombo (till Tamils were given equal status on par with Sinhalase), Centre goes on inking new agreements with Sri Lanka," he said.
"Since anger against the Lankan government and grief over (Lankan) Tamils was fast growing among people of Tamil Nadu, the UPA-government is using DMK to divert people away from the isue "instead of showing the path of justice," he alleged.
He also alleged that New Delhi had failed to stop the continued attacks allegedly by Lankan navy on fishermen from the state.
On the general strike call by DMK-backed TESO on March 12, Vaiko alleged that the same DMK while in power had warned of strong legal action including imposing stringent laws when Tamil groups gave a similar strike call on the Lankan Tamils issue in January, 2009.
He said that Karunanidhi had now announced striking work on seeking India`s support to the US-sponsored resolution.
He also sought a referendum on Eelam (seperate homeland for Tamils).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs