Vaiko, MDMK workers arrested for trying to picket NLC office
Neyveli: MDMK leader Vaiko was arrested here on Friday when he and party workers tried to picket the Neyveli Lignite Corporation office here, demanding that the public sector unit stop power supply to Karnataka, which has stopped release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
Police said Vaiko and about 1000 party workers took out a procession and were arrested while on their way to the NLC office.
Speaking to reporters later, Vaiko slammed Karnataka for not releasing the required quantum of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu as per the September 19 directive of the Cauvery River Authority (CRA), which was upheld by the Supreme Court.
"The Union government has not taken proper action against Karnatka," he said.
Karnataka had said it would not accept the Cauvery Monitoring Committee`s decision yesterday that Tamil Nadu should get 8.85 tmc of water between October 16 and 31.
The "award" of the Committee is based on findings of a central team that visited Karnataka and Tamil Nadu last week.
In September, the CRA, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, had directed Karnataka to release 9,000 cusecs of water daily to Tamil Nadu between September 20 and October 15.
Karnataka has urged the prime minister to review by October 12 the order of the CRA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days