Vaiko meets protesting fireworks owners
Sivakasi: MDMK Chief Vaiko, who is contesting the April 24 Lok Sabha polls from Virudhunagar, on Tuesday met the owners of fireworks units who were on relay fast and indefinite strike demanding a ban on import of crackers from China and reduction in licence renewal fees.
Vaiko told newsmen that he only extended his support to the fireworks owners as lakhs of wokers were dependent on the units for their livelihood. "I want to protect the industry as an individual. I told them you have my support" he said.
A bandh, called by various trade organisations in support of the fireworks owners, was oberved today and almost all the business establishments remained closed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?