Vaiko, supporters arrested
Chennai: MDMK founder Vaiko and 500 of his supporters were arrested on Tuesday when they tried to stage a picketing at the Poonamallee Special Camp (for Sri Lankan Tamils) demanding release of the inmates.
Vaiko and others were lodged at a nearby marriage hall after being arrested, police said.
The MDMK leader had announced staging a picketing of the special camp at Poonamallee demanding release of the inmates lodged there besides the one at Chengalpattu and moving them to normal camps.
Alleging that the special camps acted as "detention camps," he had demanded that the Sri Lankan Tamils lodged there be released on humanitarian grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up