Vaiko, supporters arrested
Chennai: MDMK founder Vaiko and 500 of his supporters were arrested on Tuesday when they tried to stage a picketing at the Poonamallee Special Camp (for Sri Lankan Tamils) demanding release of the inmates.
Vaiko and others were lodged at a nearby marriage hall after being arrested, police said.
The MDMK leader had announced staging a picketing of the special camp at Poonamallee demanding release of the inmates lodged there besides the one at Chengalpattu and moving them to normal camps.
Alleging that the special camps acted as "detention camps," he had demanded that the Sri Lankan Tamils lodged there be released on humanitarian grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video