Vaiko, supporters arrested
Chennai: MDMK founder Vaiko and 500 of his supporters were arrested on Tuesday when they tried to stage a picketing at the Poonamallee Special Camp (for Sri Lankan Tamils) demanding release of the inmates.
Vaiko and others were lodged at a nearby marriage hall after being arrested, police said.
The MDMK leader had announced staging a picketing of the special camp at Poonamallee demanding release of the inmates lodged there besides the one at Chengalpattu and moving them to normal camps.
Alleging that the special camps acted as "detention camps," he had demanded that the Sri Lankan Tamils lodged there be released on humanitarian grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?