Vaiko, supporters arrested
Chennai: MDMK founder Vaiko and 500 of his supporters were arrested on Tuesday when they tried to stage a picketing at the Poonamallee Special Camp (for Sri Lankan Tamils) demanding release of the inmates.
Vaiko and others were lodged at a nearby marriage hall after being arrested, police said.
The MDMK leader had announced staging a picketing of the special camp at Poonamallee demanding release of the inmates lodged there besides the one at Chengalpattu and moving them to normal camps.
Alleging that the special camps acted as "detention camps," he had demanded that the Sri Lankan Tamils lodged there be released on humanitarian grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars