Vaiko to go ahead with stir against Lankan prez Rajapakse
Chennai: Rejecting Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan`s appeal, MDMK leader Vaiko will go ahead with his planned black-flag demonstration against Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse during his proposed visit to Sanchi in that state.
Vaiko, a strong critic of Rajapakse, holding him responsible for the killing of civilian Tamils in the war against LTTE in 2009, will leave for Sanchi this afternoon, an MDMK spokesperson here said monday.
Vaiko will be accompanied by around 1000 supporters, he said adding the firebrand leader would lead the protest against Rajapakse`s participation in a Buddhist function at Sanchi on September 21.
Chouhan had yesterday written to the MDMK founder leader asking him to drop the protest move, insisting Rajapakse`s visit was a political and that it should be seen as an endeavour to promote peace and harmony among Asian countries.
Chouhan had also assured that he stood by Tamils on the issue of human rights.
Vaiko had recently written to the BJP leader requesting him to withdraw the invitation to Rajapakse, as people in Tamil Nadu blamed the Lankan President for alleged atrocities against Tamils in the island nation.
Meanwhile in neighbouring union territory of Puducherry, a day-long bandh is being observed by actor-director Seeman led Naam Tamizhar Katchi protesting Rajapakse`s visit.
Private buses were off the roads while hotels, shops and other establishments downed their shutters. Private schools were also closed.
Tight security arrangements have been made by police to avoiod any untoward incident, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL