Vaiko urges BJP to cancel Rajapakse`s function in MP
Chennai: Taking on senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and the party-led Madhya Pradesh government over a proposed visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse there later this month, MDMK founder Vaiko on Monday urged BJP`s top brass against entertaining him and threatened a black flag demo if his demand was not heeded to.
Swaraj, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, had announced that Rajapakse will lay the foundation stone for a Buddhist education centre at Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh on September 21, Vaiko said in a statement here.
A strong opponent of Rajapakse in relation to killing of civilian Tamils in Sri Lanka during the armed conflict, Vaiko said it was paradoxical that he was invited for the function as Lord Buddha "not only preached peace and tolerance but also practiced it."
"Swaraj`s announcement amounts to adding insult to injury to Tamils... BJP president Nitin Gadkari and leaders like Yashwant Sinha who have genuine concern for the Lankan Tamils must take steps to cancel the invitation extended to Rajapakse. If not, I will lead a black flag demonstration at Sanchi on Septemeber 21," he said.
Vaiko said former Prime Minister and BJP veteran A B Vajpayee was compassionate towards the Lankan Tamils but Swaraj and the Madhya Pradesh government had taken a decision against Lankan Tamils` interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!