Vaiko urges BJP to cancel Rajapakse`s function in MP
Chennai: Taking on senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and the party-led Madhya Pradesh government over a proposed visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse there later this month, MDMK founder Vaiko on Monday urged BJP`s top brass against entertaining him and threatened a black flag demo if his demand was not heeded to.
Swaraj, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, had announced that Rajapakse will lay the foundation stone for a Buddhist education centre at Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh on September 21, Vaiko said in a statement here.
A strong opponent of Rajapakse in relation to killing of civilian Tamils in Sri Lanka during the armed conflict, Vaiko said it was paradoxical that he was invited for the function as Lord Buddha "not only preached peace and tolerance but also practiced it."
"Swaraj`s announcement amounts to adding insult to injury to Tamils... BJP president Nitin Gadkari and leaders like Yashwant Sinha who have genuine concern for the Lankan Tamils must take steps to cancel the invitation extended to Rajapakse. If not, I will lead a black flag demonstration at Sanchi on Septemeber 21," he said.
Vaiko said former Prime Minister and BJP veteran A B Vajpayee was compassionate towards the Lankan Tamils but Swaraj and the Madhya Pradesh government had taken a decision against Lankan Tamils` interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents