Vaiko urges BJP to cancel Rajapakse`s function in MP
Chennai: Taking on senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and the party-led Madhya Pradesh government over a proposed visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse there later this month, MDMK founder Vaiko on Monday urged BJP`s top brass against entertaining him and threatened a black flag demo if his demand was not heeded to.
Swaraj, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, had announced that Rajapakse will lay the foundation stone for a Buddhist education centre at Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh on September 21, Vaiko said in a statement here.
A strong opponent of Rajapakse in relation to killing of civilian Tamils in Sri Lanka during the armed conflict, Vaiko said it was paradoxical that he was invited for the function as Lord Buddha "not only preached peace and tolerance but also practiced it."
"Swaraj`s announcement amounts to adding insult to injury to Tamils... BJP president Nitin Gadkari and leaders like Yashwant Sinha who have genuine concern for the Lankan Tamils must take steps to cancel the invitation extended to Rajapakse. If not, I will lead a black flag demonstration at Sanchi on Septemeber 21," he said.
Vaiko said former Prime Minister and BJP veteran A B Vajpayee was compassionate towards the Lankan Tamils but Swaraj and the Madhya Pradesh government had taken a decision against Lankan Tamils` interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued