Vaiko urges Centre for retrieval of Katchatheevu
Chennai: BJP ally MDMK Wednesday pressed that India should retrieve Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by way of two agreements in 1974 and 1976, saying the move will guarantee livelihood of Indian fishermen.
MDMK chief Vaiko`s comments came a day after Centre submitted in the Madras High Court that the islet in Palk Strait was a sovereign property of Sri Lanka and the 1974 and 1976 agreements between India and Sri Lanka do not confer any fishing rights on fishermen from India.
He said the attacks on and arrests of Indian fishermen from Tamil Nadu by Sri Lankan navy continued unabated despite change of guard at New Delhi and while expectations were high that New Delhi should take a firm and decisive stand on this issue, Centre`s latest submission "added insult to injury."
He also said the agreement signed in 1976 did not have cabinet approval or that of the Parliament and therefore "is not binding" on Indian fishermen.
"Retrieval of Katchatheevu is the only solution to guarantee livelihood of fishermen and ensure their safety," he said in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened