Value of seized jewels inflated, says Sasikala
Bangalore: Sasikala Natarajan, estranged aide of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Friday charged customs officials with having inflated the value of jewels seized from Jayalalithaa`s residence in the wealth case.
Continuing her deposition before special court Judge B M Mallikarjunaiah, trying the case, she said the officials had estimated the value of seized jewellery at Rs 3.35 crore, which she said was `inflated` to frame them in the case.
The customs department, instead of seeking the help of its value apprisers, had taken the advice of Income Tax deparment approved valuers, she charged.
Sasikala also questioned police conducting searches on two houses of Jayalalithaa in 1996 when she was in prison.
During the searches on December 9 and 12, Jayalalithaa and she were in jail, Sasikala told the court and also charged Customs officials with not intimating them about their visit.
Earlier, court proceedings were halted for an hour following the violence in the city civil court premises after a section of lawyers attacked mediapersons and police.
Sasikala answered 16 questions today, taking the total number answered to 300, after which her counsel Manishankhar sought an adjournment till Mar 7 in view of the situation and also certain other personal inconveniences, which was granted
by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!