VAO arrested for taking bribe from Engineer
Namakkal: A Village Administrative Officer has been arrested at Pottyreddypatti hamlet for taking Rs 3,500 as bribe from an engineer for a favour, police said.
They said the VAO had demanded the amount from the engineer, who wanted a nativity certificate for police verification as he had applied for a passport.
The official remained adamant in his demand despite the engineer`s request to consider his case favourably as his father had passed away. The man then informed Vigilance and anti-corruption officials, who laid a trap and nabbed him on Friday evening while he was receiving the money.
Police said the VAO, who used to demand money even for collecting applications, had been arrested in 2005 for receiving Rs 500 as bribe. The case is pending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users