VAO arrested for taking bribe from Engineer
Namakkal: A Village Administrative Officer has been arrested at Pottyreddypatti hamlet for taking Rs 3,500 as bribe from an engineer for a favour, police said.
They said the VAO had demanded the amount from the engineer, who wanted a nativity certificate for police verification as he had applied for a passport.
The official remained adamant in his demand despite the engineer`s request to consider his case favourably as his father had passed away. The man then informed Vigilance and anti-corruption officials, who laid a trap and nabbed him on Friday evening while he was receiving the money.
Police said the VAO, who used to demand money even for collecting applications, had been arrested in 2005 for receiving Rs 500 as bribe. The case is pending.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar