VAO arrested for taking bribe from Engineer
Namakkal: A Village Administrative Officer has been arrested at Pottyreddypatti hamlet for taking Rs 3,500 as bribe from an engineer for a favour, police said.
They said the VAO had demanded the amount from the engineer, who wanted a nativity certificate for police verification as he had applied for a passport.
The official remained adamant in his demand despite the engineer`s request to consider his case favourably as his father had passed away. The man then informed Vigilance and anti-corruption officials, who laid a trap and nabbed him on Friday evening while he was receiving the money.
Police said the VAO, who used to demand money even for collecting applications, had been arrested in 2005 for receiving Rs 500 as bribe. The case is pending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok