Vasan against selling warship to Sri Lanka
Erode (TN): Voicing opposition to Centre`s proposal to supply two naval warships to Sri Lanka, Shipping Minister G.K. Vasan has said he would urge Prime Minister Manmohan Singh not to sell the vessels.
"I am against the selling of warships to Sri Lanka. I will meet the Prime Minister soon and represent him not to sell the warships," he said on Wednesday night.
Vasan said he would also urge Singh to insist that Colombo implement the 13th amendment to the Sri Lankan Constitution without dilution to protect the legitimate rights of Tamils.
He had already requested the Union Government to boycott the Commonwealth Summit to be held in Sri Lanka in November and hoped that a decision would be announced soon, Vasan said.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Wednesday had expressed shock over New Delhi`s proposal to supply warships to Lanka, saying any move to supply military hardware would be the "most telling statement on the insensitivity" of the Government to the strong sentiments in Tamil Nadu on the Tamils issue.
In a letter to Singh, she said she was shocked to see media reports in which the "Union Minister of State in the Prime Minister?s Office (V Narayanasamy) confirms that the Government of India is in the process of supplying two naval warships to Sri Lanka."
She said while Narayanasamy appears to have indicated that he would communicate to Singh the feelings among people and political parties in the state against any such move, "what amazes me is that the Government of India could even contemplate such a move."
Two Offshore Patrol Vessels, to be built by the Goa-based defence PSU Goa Shipyard Limited, are expected to be delivered to the Island nation by 2017-18.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed