Vasan against selling warship to Sri Lanka
Erode (TN): Voicing opposition to Centre`s proposal to supply two naval warships to Sri Lanka, Shipping Minister G.K. Vasan has said he would urge Prime Minister Manmohan Singh not to sell the vessels.
"I am against the selling of warships to Sri Lanka. I will meet the Prime Minister soon and represent him not to sell the warships," he said on Wednesday night.
Vasan said he would also urge Singh to insist that Colombo implement the 13th amendment to the Sri Lankan Constitution without dilution to protect the legitimate rights of Tamils.
He had already requested the Union Government to boycott the Commonwealth Summit to be held in Sri Lanka in November and hoped that a decision would be announced soon, Vasan said.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Wednesday had expressed shock over New Delhi`s proposal to supply warships to Lanka, saying any move to supply military hardware would be the "most telling statement on the insensitivity" of the Government to the strong sentiments in Tamil Nadu on the Tamils issue.
In a letter to Singh, she said she was shocked to see media reports in which the "Union Minister of State in the Prime Minister?s Office (V Narayanasamy) confirms that the Government of India is in the process of supplying two naval warships to Sri Lanka."
She said while Narayanasamy appears to have indicated that he would communicate to Singh the feelings among people and political parties in the state against any such move, "what amazes me is that the Government of India could even contemplate such a move."
Two Offshore Patrol Vessels, to be built by the Goa-based defence PSU Goa Shipyard Limited, are expected to be delivered to the Island nation by 2017-18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog