Vasan to take up SL def personnel training issue
Chennai: Union Shipping Minister and Congress leader G K Vasan today said the state party unit was against imparting training to Sri Lankan Defence personnel and he would soon take up the issue with Defence Minister A K Antony.
"All political parties in Tamil Nadu have stated similar views on the issue. That is the same also with the Tamil Nadu Congress Committee. We will urge the Centre to send back the (Sri Lankan) personnel. In future, TNCC would take a strong step so that this kind of situation does not reccur," he told reporters here.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and DMK President M Karunanidhi, a key ally of the UPA, have strongly objected to the training of Sri Lankan defence personnel in India, saying it hurt the sentiments of people of the state in view of the war crime charges faced by the island government.
"Our demand is that those who are being trained should be sent back (to Sri Lanka). There is no second thought about it. We are firm in our decision. Soon after I reach Delhi, I will have a detailed interaction with the Defence Minister about this matter. We will take it up, so that there is a solution to this issue soon," Vasan said.
On BJP stalling Parliament prooceedings over coal blocks allocation issue, he said, "the only objective of the BJP was to stall the proceedings of Parliament" and such action would "impair" the country`s growth.
"It is against people. There are several Bills and official matters pending to be cleared in Parliament," he said, appealing the BJP to cooperate for the functioning of Parliament.
He also criticised Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s comments on women in the context of malnutrition, saying "A responsible Chief Minister should not have commented like this. No one in this country will accept his remark."
Modi had recently said in an interview to Wall Street Journal that "Gujarat is ...A middle class state. The middle class is more beauty conscious than health conscious...That is a challenge. If a mother tells her daughter to have milk they have a fight. She will tell her mother `I wont drink milk, I will get fat`."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in