Very happy at bail to Kanimozhi: Karunanidhi
New Delhi: The DMK expressed extreme relief after Kanimozhi was given bail by the Delhi High Court on Monday in the 2G Spectrum case. There was jubilation and celebrations in the DMK camp as soon as the Delhi HC passed its order.
Party chief Karunanidhi who was visibly overjoyed at the news of freedom to her daughter said in Chennai, “I am very happy and satisfied at the outcome.” He revealed that he had talked to her on the phone after the court order.
"I am not an autocrat. Party will decide on giving new position to Kanimozhi," he said when asked whether she would be given a new position in the party.
Asked what he would tell Kanimozhi when he meets her, an emotional and overjoyed father said, "Appada vandhiya" (At last you came).
Kanimozhi`s husband Aravindan looked a relieved man with
a smile flashing across his face after the news came out that
she has been given bail.
He was seated next to his 43-year-old wife and exchanged
pleasantry with the other accused and supporters, including
DMK Parliamentary Party leader TR Baalu, MP J Helan Davidson
and others who rushed to the court to greet Kanimozhi.
“We are very happy that the court granted bail to our leader, we welcome it,” said senior party leader, TR Balu.
Regarding the possibility of Kanimozhi attending the
ongoing Parliament session, Baalu said, "She may attend the
Parliament session. It depends on the judge also as she may
take exemption (from the court`s proceedings)."
Another DMK leader Khusboo said that she was very pleased that Kanimozhi had walked out of the jail. “This is first step towards freedom. Kanimozhi is a very strong person. She is looking forward to come back to her son,” she added.
Meanwhile, petitioner in the 2G case Subramaniam Swamy said, “Bail is not acquittal. We are worried whether witnesses can be threatened by them.”
Accused in the 2G scam along with former Telecom Minister A Raja, Kanimozhi has been in jail since mid May this year. When denied bail earlier she had become emotional and broken down in court. Her family has been rallying around her ever since she was arrested in the 2G case.
The CBI today did not oppose the bail plea of Kanimozhi. Besides Kanimozhi, kin of Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar,
Bollywood filmmaker Karim Morani and Kusegaon Fruits and
Vegetables Pvt Ltd directors Rajiv Aggarwal and Asif Balwa,
were also granted bail.
Earlier, bail had also been granted to five corporate honchos accused in the case on November 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents