Vijayakant loses temper at media
Chennai: Leader of the opposition in the Tamil Nadu assembly and DMDK founder A. Vijayakant Saturday lost his cool and threatened journalists at the airport.
Vijayakant and his wife Premalatha were at Chennai airport to board a flight to Madurai along with party legislators and cadres where reporters asked him for his reaction on four Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK) legislators meeting Chief Minister and AIADMK General Secretary J. Jayalalithaa.
DMDK legislators R. Sundarrajan, representing Madurai Central seat, and K. Tamil Azhagan from Tittagudi constituency had met Jayalalithaa at the state secretariat Friday.
On Saturday, S. Michael Rayappan from Radhapuram constituency and C.Arun Pandian from Peravurani constitutency met Jayalalithaa her Poes Garden residence.
Dismissing the question as a non-issue, Vijayakant said: "There are bigger issues in the state like severe power cuts, spread of dengue and others."
Vijayakant then started shouting at a reporter who had questioned him earlier and vented his ire at the media.
A party member is alleged to have attacked the reporter.
Chennai Press Club and Chennai Union of Journalists condemned the incident and demanded action against Vijayakant.
The attack on the media is a challenge to the freedom of press, the Chennai Press Club said in a statement, and demanded that Vijayakant tender an apology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader