Vijayakant loses temper at media
Chennai: Leader of the opposition in the Tamil Nadu assembly and DMDK founder A. Vijayakant Saturday lost his cool and threatened journalists at the airport.
Vijayakant and his wife Premalatha were at Chennai airport to board a flight to Madurai along with party legislators and cadres where reporters asked him for his reaction on four Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK) legislators meeting Chief Minister and AIADMK General Secretary J. Jayalalithaa.
DMDK legislators R. Sundarrajan, representing Madurai Central seat, and K. Tamil Azhagan from Tittagudi constituency had met Jayalalithaa at the state secretariat Friday.
On Saturday, S. Michael Rayappan from Radhapuram constituency and C.Arun Pandian from Peravurani constitutency met Jayalalithaa her Poes Garden residence.
Dismissing the question as a non-issue, Vijayakant said: "There are bigger issues in the state like severe power cuts, spread of dengue and others."
Vijayakant then started shouting at a reporter who had questioned him earlier and vented his ire at the media.
A party member is alleged to have attacked the reporter.
Chennai Press Club and Chennai Union of Journalists condemned the incident and demanded action against Vijayakant.
The attack on the media is a challenge to the freedom of press, the Chennai Press Club said in a statement, and demanded that Vijayakant tender an apology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read