Vijayakant wants to meet Jaya to discuss constituency issues
Chennai: In an apparent bid to stem any further erosion in his party against the backdrop of four of his MLAs meeting Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, actor-politician and Opposition Leader Vijayakant himself on Monday expressed desire to meet her to discuss constituency-related issues.
Vijayakant and four of his party MLAs have given a letter to Speaker V Dhanapal requesting him to arrange a meeting with the Chief Minister, DMDK whip in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, J Chandrakumar told reporters here.
The move is being seen as an attempt by Vijayakant to keep his flock together even as speculation is rife that more of his party MLAs could call on the chief minister, sparking rumours that they could switch loyalty to the ruling AIADMK.
It is not much a common sight in state political circles where MLAs of a rival party call on a Chief Minister.
Jayalalithaa and Vijayakant were earlier this year involved in a direct face-off on the floor of the Assembly, prompting the AIADMK supremo to regret her party`s tie-up with DMDK for last year`s Assembly polls.
Meanwhile, the four MLAs -- K Tamil Azhagan, S Sunderarajan, C Michael Rayappan and Arun Pandian -- who had called on the Chief Minister last week, were given separate seating in the assembly when it met today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender