Vijayakant wants to meet Jaya to discuss constituency issues
Chennai: In an apparent bid to stem any further erosion in his party against the backdrop of four of his MLAs meeting Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, actor-politician and Opposition Leader Vijayakant himself on Monday expressed desire to meet her to discuss constituency-related issues.
Vijayakant and four of his party MLAs have given a letter to Speaker V Dhanapal requesting him to arrange a meeting with the Chief Minister, DMDK whip in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, J Chandrakumar told reporters here.
The move is being seen as an attempt by Vijayakant to keep his flock together even as speculation is rife that more of his party MLAs could call on the chief minister, sparking rumours that they could switch loyalty to the ruling AIADMK.
It is not much a common sight in state political circles where MLAs of a rival party call on a Chief Minister.
Jayalalithaa and Vijayakant were earlier this year involved in a direct face-off on the floor of the Assembly, prompting the AIADMK supremo to regret her party`s tie-up with DMDK for last year`s Assembly polls.
Meanwhile, the four MLAs -- K Tamil Azhagan, S Sunderarajan, C Michael Rayappan and Arun Pandian -- who had called on the Chief Minister last week, were given separate seating in the assembly when it met today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar